Top 5 Best Lawn Mower Battery to Buy in 2022
A lawn mower battery is a powerful piece of equipment that helps power your lawn mower. If yours needs a charge, it's important to know how to properly care for the lawn mower battery so you can keep it going as long as possible. In this article, we will discuss how to maintain and troubleshoot lawn mower batteries in an easy-to-understand way.
WHEN TO CHARGE YOUR MOWER’S BATTERY
Your lawn mower battery can lose its charge when you haven't used it for a while. This is especially true if the lawn mower sits out in cold weather, like winter or early spring (before grass turns green). You should always recharge your lawn mower's battery after purchasing it and before putting it away until next season to keep things running smoothly.
HOW TO CHARGE YOUR MOWER’S BATTERY
If you need to charge your lawn mower battery, it's important that you do so properly. When charging a lawn mower battery for the first time, be sure to follow these steps:
- Set up an area with good ventilation as gasoline and oil products are flammable and could cause an explosion.
- Ensure the lawn mower is in a well ventilated area before starting.
- Check oil level on the lawn mower to ensure proper lubrication prior to start up, this will help with the life of your lawnmower battery .
MAINTAINING YOUR MOWER’S BATTERY
Once you've given your lawn mower a proper charge, it's important to take care of the lawn mower battery so it can last years and help power your lawnmower. To do this, here are some tips:
- Keep battery terminals clean by removing any corrosion or dirt build up on them with a wire brush.
- Store lawn mowers in a cool, dry place during winter months to avoid battery corrosion and failure.
- Measure the lawn mower's voltage with a voltmeter to ensure proper lawn mower battery maintenance.
HOW TO CHARGE YOUR LAWN MOWER BATTERY THE RIGHT WAY
Before charging your lawn mower battery, you should always read the instruction manual that came with your lawn mower. The instructions for charging will vary depending on the lawn mower and brand you own. Once you have read these instructions and gathered all of your equipment (charger, cord extension), follow these steps:
- Ensure the lawnmower is off before plugging in the charger
- Plug your lawn mower's battery into the proper port on the charger (check instructions for location)
- If you are using a portable battery charger, make sure that it is plugged into an outlet. Be aware of how long this process will take to avoid overcharging your lawnmower's battery.
HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT YOUR LAWN MOWER BATTERY
If your lawnmower battery is having problems staying charged or keeping its power for long periods of time, it may need troubleshooting. Troubleshooting lawn mower batteries can be a bit complicated so it may be necessary to consult your lawn mower manual. The troubleshooting process will vary depending on the lawn mower and brand you own, but there are some commonalities that apply to all lawn mowers.
- Ensure lawnmower is in an open area for optimal airflow when charging
- Ensure lawnmower is not overcharged
- If the lawn mower battery still dies quickly or won't hold a charge, bring it to an authorized service center for repairs.
TOP 5 PICK BEST LAWN MOWER BATTERY (REVIEWS)
1. Weize 12V 35 AH Rechargeable Battery.
Weize LFP 1235 12V 35 AH made of heavy duty calcium – alloy grid to provide exceptional performance and service life in both float and cyclic applications. It is a battery with screws but no wire harness or mounting.
It can be used for the efficient working of other equipment but that depends on the devices and you need to put more together to get enough voltage or capacity which is used for solar panel wind energy storage, medical equipment, wheelchair scooter, lawn and garden tools, UPS, emergency lighting, etc.
2. Mighty Max Battery ML35 – 12 SLA Battery
Mighty max battery provides the best in electronics that sleek design makes this battery a breeze for portability and installation. This lawn tractor battery can be mounted in any position which makes it suitable to use for a wide range of electric vehicles. This ML35-12 offers a high level of resistance to shock and vibration from extensive and intense use.
SLA/AGM spill proof battery that has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, maintenance free rechargeable battery, long service life, and deep discharge recovery (allows a depleted battery to recharge more easily than other 12V lawn tractor batteries).
3. Chrome Battery Deep Cycle SLA Replacement
Chrome Deep Cycle is a versatile and easy-to-use battery. This best lawn mower battery can be used for a wide range of your electrical appliances like lawn tractors, lawnmowers, mobile scooters, household alarm systems, etc.
What is noticeable about this Chrome SLA battery is that it comes with a standard T3 terminal on the left side, allowing it to be rechargeable up to 2,000 times. It is 12V but has 35-amp hours, which is more powerful than other battery models on the market.
These specifications also help it fit with almost all tractors and lawn mowers on the market. This SLA battery is a great power replacement for the Husqvarna YTH2448 lawn tractor.
This battery comes fully charged, so you can immediately connect it and go. Installing it is easy as pie even for beginners. It also comes with some helpful features like deep cycle charging or little maintenance effort.
4. Universal Power Group 12V 35 Ah UB12350 Battery
The Universal Power Group 12V UB12350 lawn tractor battery is most suitable for John Deere lawn garden tractors or mowers (best rated lawn tractors). It is a user-friendly model that comes with a number of safety features.
It is easy to use and secure with the absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology that offers stability, resisting surges (shocks & vibration) and also protects the battery from unexpected battery acid spillages.
This 12-volt lawn mower battery is maintenance free which reduces the amount of care required to keep the lawn tractor smooth and a safe run for a longer time. It has 35 Amp hours which helps for long working hours.
5. Greenworks 40V 2.0 AH 29462 Lithium-Ion Battery
This Greenworks Lithium-Ion is a perfect fit for replacing your old original battery. Besides, you can use it as a secondary power source during long working days to prevent long charging time.
The Greenworks 29462 offers a high voltage input of 40V, providing extreme performance for your yard or garden jobs. There is a battery life indicator on its body to let you know when you need to plug it in for recharging. Even if it runs out of energy, you can wait only 60 minutes to get back to work, thanks to its Quick Charge Time feature.
Although a Lithium-ion battery like this one is pretty expensive, it offers various long-term benefits for users like utmost safety, most extended lifetime, environment-friendly, and so on.
FAQs about Lawn Mower Battery
1. How long should a lawn mower battery last?
The lawn mower battery can last for about three to five years. It mainly depends on the type of lawn tractor and lawn mower in consideration, as well as how it is used and maintained regularly.
However, there are some common problems that may reduce the lifespan of your lawn mower battery such as leakage due to spilled acid or overcharging.
This is why it's essential for lawn mower owners to invest in a durable lawn tractor battery with high performance, especially if they need the lawn tractor or lawn mower for long-term use and heavy duty work.
The best lawn mower batteries should be able to store enough energy that can help you avoid frequent charging. It is also important for lawn mower batteries to be resistant to wear and tear.
2. Are all lawn mower batteries the same?
Not all of the batteries are the same. There are two types of lawnmower batteries: Lithium-Ion and Lead-acid batteries. Lead-acid batteries were used long before Lithium-ion batteries were invented. The highlight of this type is its capacity to provide a steady, stable current of electricity in a long while.
They also function better than Lithium in cold weather (under 32 degrees Fahrenheit). But lead-acid batteries charge slowlier and have a generally shorter lifespan than Lithium ones. Lithium-ion batteries, on the other hand, are known to last longer, have faster charging, and can store more electricity. Their charging cycle is up to 500 times, whereas lead-acid batteries are only around 200-300 times.
3. Can you recharge a dead lawn mower battery?
Yes, lawn mower batteries can be recharged even after they're drained. But the question is: how?
If your lawn tractor or lawn mower battery has a removable cell then it's possible for you to bring it home and recharge the dead cells.
You should remove all of them except one that is still functioning properly, charge them all separately, then assemble them back together before using it again.
But if your lawn mower battery is not removable or you're doing this for the first time, here are some of the best methods to recharge a lawn tractor/mower battery:
- Use an Automatic Lawn Mower Battery Charger - use a charger with clamp that has a gauge to check the voltage.
- Use a lawn mower battery charger for cars - this method works best if you have an old car with a dead battery, but it can also be used as a backup power source during lawn mowing. All you need is jump cables and another vehicle. Just connect one end of the cable to your lawn tractor or lawn mower battery and the other end to your car's.
- Use a lawn tractor trickle charger - this is ideal for lawn tractors that are stored in the garage or shed when not in use. You can plug it directly into an outlet or connect it to your lawn tractor with clamp cables (just like above). But keep in mind, lawn tractor trickle chargers are less powerful than lawn mower battery chargers for cars.
- Charge your lawn tractor or lawn mower manually - you can use a car battery to power up the lawn tractor or lawnmower by taking it out from its compartment and connecting wires from car's positive (+) and negative (-) terminals first to the dead lawn tractor battery, then to the lawn mower. The downside of this method is that you might get electrocuted if not done properly or with caution.
- Use a jump starter - it's best for lawn tractors and lawn mowers that use lead acid batteries but can also be used as a backup power source during lawn mowing. Just like lawn mower battery charger for cars, you can use jump cables and another vehicle to help charge the lawn tractor.
- Use a lawn mower tender - this is an efficient way of charging your lawn tractor or lawn mower if it's stored in the shed (or garage) over winter season and not used frequently. It's like using a lawn tractor trickle charger except that it's automatic.
- Use a lawn mower battery booster - this is ideal for small lawn tractors or lawn mowers with low voltage batteries. You can use jumper cables to charge the dead lawnmower when needed, but it doesn't have an inbuilt mechanism like chargers above so there's a higher chance of getting electrocuted.
4. How to know your lawn mower battery is dead?
When you start your lawnmower, if there is no clicking sound, or the engine won’t crack, chances are its battery is dead. You can also use a multimeter to check the battery’s voltage, any number lower than 11.5 volts is a clear indication that your battery has reached its time.
- High and wide cut
- Keypad with a very simple design
- Ideal for large lawns
- Long battery life
- Suitable for wide areas but not for narrow ones
- Inconvenient height adjustment
- Lack of Smart connectivity